AAA Extends Five Diamond Honor to 14 Additional Hotels and Restaurants for 2014
ORLANDO, Fla., (Jan. 17, 2014) – Today AAA announced the 183 select establishments that earned the AAA/CAA Five Diamond Rating in the past 12 months, qualifying them for the 2014 Five Diamond Award® lists. This exclusive group represents just 0.3 percent of the 59,000 AAA/CAA Approved and Diamond Rated hotels and restaurants. Five Diamond establishments stand apart using highly personalized approaches and creativity to enhance guest comfort and provide memorable experiences.
As a result of this year’s additions, Chicago is now on par with New York City in its wealth of fine dining options, each home to seven Five Diamond restaurants. To the north, Québec now boasts Canada’s highest concentration of Five Diamond establishments, with four restaurants and one hotel.
New Five Diamond Hotels (6):
Château du Sureau, Oakhurst, Calif.
Wynn Tower Suites, Las Vegas, Nev.
Montage Deer Valley, Park City, Utah
Four Seasons Hotel, Toronto, Canada
Banyan Tree Cabo Marques, Acapulco, Mexico
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico
New Five Diamond Restaurants (8):
The Restaurant at Meadowood, St. Helena, Calif.
Acadia, Chicago, Ill.
Grace Restaurant, Chicago, Ill.
Sixteen, Chicago, Ill.
Per Se, New York, N.Y.
Restaurant La Tanière, Québec, Canada
Restaurant Le Patriarche, Québec, Canada
Cocina de Autor, Playa del Carmen, Mexico
AAA inspectors collectively visit some 1,200 hotels and restaurants each week, allowing them to identify emerging trends in the industry. “At the ultra-luxury hotel level we’ve noted a move toward minimalism in design but not overall experience,” said Michael Petrone, director, AAA Tourism Information Development, “and an emphasis on privacy and intimacy with options like in-room fitness, private butler service and spa-like bathrooms. Guests enjoy highly personalized, learning-oriented experiences worthy of immediate sharing through digital channels.”
Inspectors have also observed a continuing evolution in the nature of fine dining. “Reservations are increasingly hard to get as formality is reduced in favor of greater creativity and attention to food sourcing,” said Petrone. “Innovative chefs handcraft artisanal menus featuring local, fresh and healthy ingredients. Increasingly educated guests focus more on the quality and origin of cuisine rather than complex presentations. A knowledgeable staff that can facilitate a memorable dining experience is paramount.”
“Attaining the Five Diamond rating is not an easy undertaking,” said Petrone. “Establishments at this level must consistently provide an unparalleled guest environment and experience.” Candidates for the rating undergo multiple unannounced evaluations and a final decision by a panel of experts. Inspectors meticulously evaluate guest services and physical attributes, closely examining the level of competence, refinement and hospitality, from reservations to checkout for hotels and from seating to presentation for restaurants.
Noteworthy for 2014:
- Chicago gained three Five Diamond restaurants: Acadia, Grace Restaurant and Sixteen, bringing its total to seven, on par with New York City.
- California and New York each gained one Five Diamond restaurant, bringing their totals to eight and keeping them tied for states with the greatest number.
- California and Quintana Roo, Mexico, were the only states to gain both a Five Diamond hotel and a Five Diamond restaurant.
- Canada and Mexico both gained three Five Diamond establishments per country.
- One hotel, The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, Colo., has maintained the Five Diamond Rating for 38 consecutive years – since 1976 when AAA first introduced the Diamond Ratings for accommodations.
- The restaurant with the longest consecutive Five Diamond tenure, 26 years, since 1988, is The Inn at Little Washington Dining Room in Washington, Va.
For more information about Diamond Ratings and the complete Five Diamond hotel and restaurant lists, visit AAA.com/Diamonds.
About AAA Inspections
For 78 years AAA has used professional inspectors to conduct in-person property inspections. AAA offers the only rating system using comprehensive, on-site professional hotel and restaurant evaluations guided by member priorities. With a far greater inventory than any other rating entity, AAA operates the only rating system covering the U.S., Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean.
Travelers can find Diamond Rated establishments and inspector insight in AAA trip planning products: the eTourBook® guides and AAA Mobile® app for tablets and smartphones, the TripTik® Travel Planner and Travel Guides on AAA.com and AAA TourBook® guides available at AAA/CAA offices.
As North America’s largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA provides more than 54 million members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its founding in 1902, the not-for-profit, fully tax-paying AAA has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. AAA clubs can be visited on the Internet at AAA.com.
Four Seasons Hotel Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Chateau du Sureau, Oakhurst, CA
Montage Deer Valley, Park City, Utah
Grace Restaurant, Chicago
The Restaurant at Meadowood, St. Helena, CA
- AAA Extends Five Diamond Honor to 13 Additional Hotels and Restaurants for 2013
- AAA Inspectors Select Favorite Historic Restaurants
- AAA Projects Memorial Day Travel to Decline by 0.9 Percent as Auto Travel Increases Slightly and Air Travel Declines by Eight Percent
- AAA Encourages Making a plan for the Memorial Day Holiday Weekend
- AAA Says Pick a Designated Driver Before Labor Day Festivities